Very much inspired by the work of Cliff Nass and Terry Winograd the research I do focuses on finding fundamental relationships between humans and interactive technology. We are interested both in understanding of human psychology, social psychology and cultural differences in behaviour and in making innovative interactive devices that are the practical results of our findings.
The specific domains we focus on are:
- User interaction with adaptive, autonomous and learning systems.
- Cross-cultural interaction design
- Human-Robot Interaction, particularly robots as social actors and embodied entities.
- Human-Car/home Interaction, particularly the interaction with autonomous cars/spaces, embodied interfaces in cars/homes, interaction with the sensory car/home environment.
- Mobile Interfaces, social interaction with mobile phones, location-based interaction, and distributed sensing.
- User Modelling, including emotion, social behaviour, and
- Innovative Interfaces such as voice, gesture, interactive surfaces and augmented reality.