Name: Prof. Dr. Vanessa Evers
Address: University of Twente
Department of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science, (EEMCS). Chair: Human Media Interaction (HMI)
PO Box 217
NL-7500 AE Enschede
E: v.evers AT utwente DOT nl
T: +31 (0)53 489 3740
F: +31 (0)53 489 3503
BIO: Vanessa Evers is a full professor of Computer Science at the University of Twente’s Human Media Interaction group. She received a M.SC. in Information Systems from the University of Amsterdam, and a Ph. D. from the Open University, UK.
During her Master studies she spent two years at the Institute of Management Information Studies of the University of New South Wales, Sydney. After her Ph.D. she has worked for the Boston Consulting Group, London and later became an assistant professor at the University of Amsterdam’s Institute of Informatics.
She was a visiting researcher at Stanford University (2005-2007). Her research interests focus on interaction with intelligent and autonomous systems such as robots as well as cultural aspects of Human Computer Interaction.
She has published over 80 peer reviewed publications, many of which in high quality journals and conferences in human computer interaction and human robot interaction. She serves on Program Committees of ACM/IEEE HRI, ACM SIGCHI, HSI, ACM CSCW and ACM Multimedia.
Vanessa is frequently interviewed about her work on national tv, radio, newspapers or magazines. She won the best thesis prize awarded by the Dutch National Society of Registered Information Specialists, was co-author of the James Chen best paper award of the journal on User Modeling and User Adapted Interaction together with then her Ph.D. student Henriette Cramer. She holds the 2014 Opzij talent award. Vanessa is an editor for the International Journal of Social Robotics and Associate Editor of the Human Robot Interaction Journal.
Doctorate: October 1997 – October 2001
The Institute of Educational Technology – Open University
Title of thesis: Cultural Aspects of User Interface Understanding: An empirical Evaluation of an E-learning Website by International User Groups. Advisors: prof. dr. Ann Jones and dr. Agnes Kukulska-Hulme.
Master’s: September 1992 – October 1997
Business Information Systems, University of Amsterdam.
Included 1 year exchange studentship and 1 year MSc research project at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. Title of thesis: Cultural Aspects of User Interface Understanding Advisor: dr. Donald Day.
Full Professor and Chair: September 2011 – Now. Human Media Interaction group, University of Twente, the Netherlands. The Human Media Interaction (HMI) group is part of the Computer Science Department and consists of about 14 staff and 26 PhD students. The focus of the group is on intelligent multimodal human-computer interaction. HMI has a proven track record of participating in multidisciplinary EU research projects and publishing in high end academic conferences and journals. The University of Twente (UT) employs 3300 staff and has 9000 students. It is part of the 3TU federation together with the technical universities of Eindhoven and Delft. The CTIT (Centre for Telematics and Information Technology) of the University of Twente is one of the largest academic ICT research institutes in Europe with over 475 researchers. A clear focus of CTIT is the integration of technology-based research and its application in specific domains.
Scientific Director: September 2014 – Now. DesignLab, University of Twente, the Netherlands The DesignLab is a creative and cross-disciplinary ecosystem at the University of Twente, connecting science and society through design. Faculty and students from various disciplines work together with companies and governments on societal challenges, inspired by novel scientific insights.
Assistant Professor: February 2007 – August 2011. Human Computer Studies Lab, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Intelligent Systems Lab Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Visiting Scholar: September 2008. Department of Industrial Design, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
Assistant Professor: Aug 2002 – Aug 2005. Sociaal Wetenschappelijke Informatica, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Human Computer Studies Lab, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Boston Consulting Group: November 2000-November 2001. Usability lead, Boston Consulting group, London, UK. (BCG’s worldwide usability practice, International Localisation expert, third party systems integrator management, human factors research and client case work)
Self employment: September 1998 – November 2002.
Self employed, Milton Keynes, UK. (expert reviews for instance for the Nielsen Norman group, usability studies, human factors research, website localisation)
Other: September 1996 -September 1997
Contract research staff, University of New South Wales, Sydney. (Develop course material, assist teaching and research)
May 1995 -August 1995
Project work, Koninklijke Wegenbouw Stevin, Utrecht, the Netherlands. (Developed a geographical Information tool for planning and executing roadwork in inner city Utrecht.
Boards, Steering, Review and Selection committees (National)
- Member of Board (Leo, Centre for Service Robotics
- Co-chair SIKS research school2014-
- Member IIP RoboNED2011-
- External review committee of Hogeschool Utrecht, 2013
- Executive Board, Women in Science, the University of Amsterdam
- Member of the Promotions Evaluation committee of Institute of Informatics, University of Amsterdam 2009-2011
- Selection committee NWO Exact Science call Creative Industry board2014
- Selection committee NWO Natural Artificial Intelligence, 2014
- Selection Committee NWO VENI (career grants), 2013
- Selection Committee (Beoordelingscommissie) NWO Vrije Competitie Exacte Wetenschappen 2012
- Selection Committee NWO Open Access 2012
Boards, Steering, Review and Selection committees (International)
- Member Grant Review Board Norwegian Scientific Council 2015-
- European Commission Grant Review Board, 2013-
- ACM SIGCHI Public Policy Committee Member, 2012-
- Co-Chair Human-Robot Interaction Steering Committee (2013-2015)
- Member of IFIP-UNESCO (International Federation of Information Processing), the global non-profit umbrella organization of societies of ICT professionals. In TC-13 Human Computer Interaction, NL representative. 2014-
- Member Advisory Board of SIDN fund to promote the Internet (Director:Valerie Frissen, Chair of the board: His Royal Highness Prince Constantijn van Oranje) 2014-
- Member of Advisory Board WetenschapsOrientatie Nederland (WON) (An organisation of 50 schools that prepare children for a university degree). 2012-
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board new MMI (Man Machine Interaction) platform
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board member of I3B, ICT for Brain Body and Behaviour 2013-
International Academic Organisation
- ACM CSCW 2016, Late Breaking Poster Chair
- ACM/IEEE HRI 2015, PC member
- ICMI 2015, PC member
- CABS 2014, General Co-chair
- ACM CSCW 2014, PC Member
- HRI 2014, PC member, Steering Committee Chair
- ICRA (International Conference on Robotics and Automation) 2014, Organising committee member
- ICIC (International Conference on Intercultural Communication) 2013, General Chair
- ACM SIGCHI 2013, PC member
- HRI (Human Robot Interaction) 2013, General co-chair
- HBU (International Workshop on Human Behaviour) at IROS (Intelligent Robots and Systems) 2012, PC member
- Social Computing 2012, Doctoral Consortium Chair
- ICMI (International Conference on Multimodal Interaction) 2012 Area Chair HRI
- WWW 2012, PC member
- HRI 2012, Program co-chair
- ICIC 2012, General Chair
- AMI (International Conference on Ambient Intelligence) 2011, Demo co-chair
- CR-HRI 2011, PC member
- ICSR (International Conference on Social Robotics) 2011, General co-chair
- HCII (Human Computer Interaction International) 2011, track coordinator
- HRI 2011,Publicity chair
- CSCW (Computer Supported Cooperative Work) 2011, Publications chair
- D-CIS Human Factors Event, Program chair
- ICIC 2010, Late Breaking paper co-chair
- ACM Multimedia 2010, Affine workshop PC
- ACM Multimedia 2010, PC member
- CATAC (Cultural Attitudes Toward Technology and Computers) 2010, PC member
- IWIPS (International Workship on Internationalisation of products and Systems) 2010 Proceedings chair
- HRI 2010, Publications chair, PC member
- HRI 2009, Publications chair, PC member
- IWIC 2009, Panels chair
- HRI 2008, local organiser (with Ben Krose)
- IWIPS 2007, 2005 (local chair), 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999 (Organising Committee)
- HCII 2005, 2009 (session chair)
- NIME 2001 (keynote)
Invited talks and appearances
- see blogpostsfor updated list
- RSS (robotics Science and Systems) 2015 Keynote
- Chairman ICT open 24-26 March, Amersfoort
- EMERCE E-day speaker6 November 2014, Amsterdam
- ACM Distinguished Speaker Program (Member), 2014-2017
Editorial board positions
- International Journal of Human Robot Interaction
- IEEE transaction on Human Machine Systems
- International Journal of Social Robotics
- Journal of Usability Studies
- ACM: Association for Computing Machinery
- ACM SIGCHI: ACM Special Interest Group CHI
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- IEEE RAS (Robotics and Automation)
- SIKS national PhD research school
- KIVI NIRIA Royal Institute of Engineers
- Roboned Dutch Society of Roboticists
Grants and Awards
- DE-ENIGMA EU Horizon2020 (Coordinator), Multi-Modal HRI for Expanding Social imagination in Autistic Children. 2015-2019, 4 M€
- BLOX (Industry funded in partnership with stichting Dichterbij), Multimodal responsive environment to social interaction for people with multiple physical and cognitive impairments, 2013-1015, (amount undisclosed).
- TERESA EU FP7 STREP(PI), Telepresence Reinforcement-learning Social Agent, 2013-2016, 3M€
- SQUIRREL EUFP7 IP (PI), Clearing clutter bit by bit, 2014-2017, 5M€
- EASEL, EUFP7 STREP (PI), Expressive Agents for Symbiotic Education and Learning , 2013-2016 3M€
- COMMITP3, National Project, motivational coach for amateur sports, 2013-1017, 2.5M€
- SPENCEREU FP7 (PI), Socially normative navigating robot in airport environments, 2012-2015, 3M€.
- ACCOMPANYEU FP7 (PI), Robot Companion for re-ablement. 2011-2014, 4M€.
- FROGEU FP7 (coordinator), Outdoor robot tour guide with engaging personality for interaction with small groups. 2011-2014, 3M€.
- Eureka/Eurostars project, Smartphones with Innovative Navigation Service for an unique InDoor Experience , 2010-2011, European Community, 350 k€.
- MOCATOUR(2009-2012), Amsterdam Living Labs A Pieken in de Delta project. The (Mobile Cultural access for tourists) project seeks to establish novel computational methods to facilitate tourists with contextualized and experience-based access to information while they freely explore a city. (450k)
- DIADEM, (EU FP7 2008-2011) Distributed Information Acquisition and Decision Making for Environmental Management. Funding: 240K Euro, Aug 2008.)
- HRI, PC meeting fund, NSF. Funding obtained: 1000 Euro, December 2008.
- NWO-CNSF collaboration grant, Funding obtained: 5000K Euro, November 2008.
- ICIS-CHIM, Interaction with learning systems in Crisis Recovery. Funding: 230K Euro, December 2005.
- Cyburg, de digitale stad Amsterdam. E-government services for the multi-cultural population of Amsterdam. Funding 120 K Euro. Januari 2002.
- OPZIJ talent award, 2014
- James Chen Best Paper award, Yearly UMUAI award, 2008
- Best Quality Master Thesis 1997. Highest quality thesis among Dutch University theses by the Dutch National Society of Registered Information Specialists.
- Highest graded thesis (10 out 0f 10). MSc Business Information Systems.
- Total: 90+ publications (10 journals). see Publications page
- Wang, L., Rau, P-L., Evers, V., Robinson, B., Hinds, P. (2010) The role of culture and context in the adherence to robot recommendations. Full paper (Forthcoming) Proceedings of HRI’10, 3-6 March, Osaka.
- Henriette Cramer, Vanessa Evers, Maarten van Someren, Bob Wielinga (2009) Awareness, Training and Trust in Interaction with Adaptive Spam Filters, CHI’09, Boston, USA. Winner CHI’09 best note award.
- Cramer H., Evers V., Van Someren, M., Ramlal, S., Rutledge, L., Stash, N., Aroyo, L., Wielinga, B. (2008) ‘The effects of transparency on trust and acceptance in interaction with a content-based art recommender’,User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 5. Winner James Chen Best paper Award.
- Evers, V., Maldonado, H., Brodecki, T. & Hinds, P. (2008). Relational vs. group self-construal: Untangling the role of national culture in HRI. In T. Fong & K. Dautenhahn (Eds.), HRI 2008: Proceedings of the third ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction(pp. 255-262). New York, NY: ACM
- Heerink, M., Kröse, B.J.A., Wielinga, B.J., Evers, V. Studying the acceptance of a robotic agent by elderly users. International Journal of Assistive Robotics and Mechatronics, VOL. 7, NO. 3, september 2006, pp. 33-43
- Zhongxia Housong, 2015-
- Cristina Zaga, 2014-
- Jeabok Kim, 2014-
- Jered Vroon, 2014-
- Daniel Davison, 2014-
- Roelof de Vries, 2013-
- Michiel Joosse, 2013-
- Daphne Karreman, 2012-
- Jorgee Gallego Perez, 2012-
- Henriette Cramer, 2004-2009
- Marcel Heerink,2005-2009
- Jessica Rijnboutt, 2008-
Examiner of PhD theses
- External Examiner, Ninhang Hu, Prof. Ben Krose, University of Amsterdam, Computer Science, x-x-2016.
- External Examiner, Confidential, Prof. Gregory O’Hare, University College Dublin, School of Computer Science and Informatics, x-x-2015
- Internal Examiner, Maartje de Graaf, “Living with Robots, Investing the User Acceptance of Social Robots in Domestic Environments” Prof. Jan van Dijk, University of Twente, Psychology dept, 26-June-2015.
- External Examiner, Maaike Roubroeks, Prof. Cees Midden, Eindhoven University. Industrial Engineering, 27-May-2014
- External Examiner, Sonja Alexis Caraian, “A Methodology for Operationalising the Robot Centric HRI Paradigm: Enabling robots to leverage sociocontextual cues during human-robot interaction”, prof Nathan Kirchner, University of Technology Sydney, 20-May-2014
- External Examiner, Arlette van Wissen, Prof. Jan Treur, Free University, Amsterdam. 25-March-2014
- External Examiner, Jie Shen, “Emotion Recognition from facial features”, Prof. Maja Pantic, Imperial College London, Computing Dept. 12-May-2014.
- External Examiner, Maha Salem, Prof. Stefan Kopp, Bielefeld University, Computer Science, 30-6-2012
- External Examiner, Jos Elfring, Prof Maarten Steinbuch, Eindhoven University, 12-March-2014.
- Internal Examiner, Hanna Jochman-Mannak, Prof Theo Huibers, University of Twente, 9-Jan-2014
- Internal Examiner, Kien Tjin—Kam-Jet, “Distributed Deep Web Search”, Prof Peter Apers, University of Twente, 20-12-2013
- Internal Examiner, Jantine Bouma, “Managing Social Impact in Design”, Prof. Peter Paul Verbeek, University of Twente, 11-Sept-2013
- Internal Examnier, Vanessa Okken,
- Internal Examiner, Boris van Waterschoot, “The Challenge of Designing Intelligent Support Behavior: Emulation as a Tool for Developing Cognitive Systems”. Mascha van der Voort, University of Twente, 3-Oct-2013
- Internal Examiner, Sabrina Sauer, Prof. Nelly Oudshoorn, University of Twente
- External Examiner, Charlotte Lelieveld, “Smart Materials in Architecture’, Prof Patrick Teuffel, Delft University, 8-Feb-2013
- Internal Examiner, Sanja Damjanovich, “Dense stereo matching, in pursuit of ideal similarity measure”. Prof Kees Slump, University of Twente
- Internal Examiner, Mieke van der Bijl Brouwer, “Exploring usability: design for dynamic and diverse use situations” .Prof. Fred van Houten, University of Twente,
- Internal Examiner, Aimee van Wynsberghe, “Ethics in Robotics”. Prof, Philip Brey, University of Twente, 18-July-2012
- Internal Examiner, Saskia Kelders, Understanding adherence to web-based interventions”. Prof. Lisette van Gemert, university of Twente, 12-Oct-2012
- External Examiner, Iolanda Leite, Prof Ana Paiva, Instituto Superior Technico, Lisbon, 5-June-2013
- Internal Examiner, Dulce Pumeraja, “Groupware Requirements Evolution Patterns”. Prof Roel Wieringa, University of Twente,
- Internal Examiner, Egon van den Broek, prof Anton Nijholt, University of twente, 16-Aug-2011
- Internal Examiner, Andreea Niculescu, “Conversational interfaces for task-oriented spoken dialogues: in search of design aspects influencing interaction quality”, Prof Anton Nijholt, University of Twente, 2011.
- Graduate course on Human Robot Interaction, MSc HMI, University of Twente University, 2016 –
- Honours Course on Design Synthesis, Honours track University of Twente (with Peter Paul Verbeek), 2014-
- Undergraduate course on Global Work and Collaboration Technology, BSc CREATE, University of Twente, 2012- todate (joint class with Stanford class Global Work)
- Undergraduate course on Human Computer Interaction. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Computer Mediated Communication. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Knowledge- and Communication Systems. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2003, 2004.
- Undergraduate course on Human Centred Multimedia. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Research Methods and Techniques. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2009, 2010, 2011.