Prof. Dr. Vanessa Evers
University of Twente
Department of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science, (EEMCS). Chair: Human Media Interaction (HMI)
PO Box 217
NL-7500 AE Enschede
E: v.evers AT utwente DOT nl
T: +31 (0)53 489 3740
F: +31 (0)53 489 3503
October 1997 – October 2001
The Institute of Educational Technology – Open University
Title of thesis: Cultural Aspects of User Interface Understanding: An empirical Evaluation of an E-learning Website by International User Groups.
Advisors: prof. dr. Ann Jones and dr. Agnes Kukulska-Hulme.
September 1992 – October 1997
Business Information Systems, University of Amsterdam.
Included 1 year exchange studentship and 1 year MSc research project at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
Title of thesis: Cultural Aspects of User Interface Understanding
Advisor: dr. Donald Day.
Full Professor and Chair
September 2011 – Now
Human Media Interaction group, University of Twente, the Netherlands
February 2007 – August 2011
Human Computer Studies Lab, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Intelligent Systems Lab Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Department of Industrial Design, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
Aug 2002 – Aug 2005
Sociaal Wetenschappelijke Informatica, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Human Computer Studies Lab, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Boston Consulting Group
November 2000-November 2001
Usability lead, Boston Consulting group, London, UK. (BCG’s worldwide usability practice, International Localisation expert, third party systems integrator management, human factors research and client case work)
September 1998 – November 2002.
Self employed, Milton Keynes, UK. (expert reviews, usability studies, human factors research, website localisation)
September 1996 -September 1997
Contract research staff, University of New South Wales, Sydney. (Develop course material, assist teaching and research)
May 1995 -August 1995
Project work, Koninklijke Wegenbouw Stevin, Utrecht, the Netherlands. (Developed a geographical Information tool for planning and executing roadwork in inner city Utrecht.
- Chair curriculum council for the study Creative Technology at the University of Twente
- co-chair SIKS research school 2014-
- NWO Exact Science call Creative Industry board 2014
- NWO Natural Artificial Intelligence call board, 2014
- Scientific Advisory Board member of I3B, ICT for Brain Body and Behaviour 2013-
- Member IIP RoboNED 2011-
- External review committee of Hogeschool Utrecht, 2013
- Steering Committee NWO VENI (career grants), 2013
- European Commission Grant Review Board, 2013
- ACM SIGCHI Public Policy Committee Member
- Co-Chair Human-Robot Interaction Steering Committee (2013-1015)
- Executive Board, Women in Science, the University of Amsterdam
- Steering Committee (Beoordelingscommissie) NWO Vrije Competitie Exacte Wetenschappen 2012
- Steering Committee NWO Open Access 2012
- Promotions evaluation committee of Institute of Informatics, University of Amsterdam
- Assistant/Associate Professor evaluation committee member, UvA
- Member Advisory Board of SIDN fund to promote internet (Director: Valerie Frissen, Chair of the board: Constantijn van Oranje)
- ACM CSCW 2016, Late Breaking Poster Chair
- ACM/IEEE HRI 2015, PC member
- ICMI 2015, PC member
- CABS 2014, General Co-chair
- ACM CSCW 2014, PC Member
- HRI 2014, PC member, Steering Committee Chair
- ICRA (International Conference on Robotics and Automation) 2014, Organising committee member
- ICIC (International Conference on Intercultural Communication) 2013, General Chair
- ACM SIGCHI 2013, PC member
- HRI (Human Robot Interaction) 2013, General co-chair
- HBU (International Workshop on Human Behaviour) at IROS (Intelligent Robots and Systems) 2012, PC member
- Social Computing 2012, Doctoral Consortium Chair
- ICMI (International Conference on Multimodal Interaction) 2012 Area Chair HRI
- WWW 2012, PC member
- HRI 2012, Program co-chair
- ICIC 2012, General Chair
- AMI (International Conference on Ambient Intelligence) 2011, Demo co-chair
- CR-HRI 2011, PC member
- ICSR (International Conference on Social Robotics) 2011, General co-chair
- HCII (Human Computer Interaction International) 2011, track coordinator
- HRI 2011, Publicity chair
- CSCW (Computer Supported Cooperative Work) 2011, Publications chair
- D-CIS Human Factors Event, Program chair
- ICIC 2010, Late Breaking paper co-chair
- ACM Multimedia 2010, Affine workshop PC
- ACM Multimedia 2010, PC member
- CATAC (Cultural Attitudes Toward Technology and Computers) 2010, PC member
- IWIPS (International Workship on Internationalisation of products and Systems) 2010 Proceedings chair
- HRI 2010, Publications chair, PC member
- HRI 2009, Publications chair, PC member
- IWIC 2009, Panels chair
- HRI 2008, local organiser (with Ben Krose)
- IWIPS 2007, 2005 (local chair), 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999 (Organising Committee)
- HCII 2005, 2009 (session chair)
- NIME 2001 (keynote)
Invited talks and appearances
- see blogposts for updated list
- RSS (robotics Science and Systems) 2015 Keynote
- Chairman ICT open 24-26 March, Amersfoort
- EMERCE E-day speaker 6 November 2014, Amsterdam
- World of technology and Science speaker 30 September 2014, Utrecht
- ACM Distinguished Speaker Program (Member), 2014-2017
- 29 Januari 2013, regional TV talkshow interview. http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/tvarchive/
- 16 Januari 2013, interview on t.v. in scientific talkshow ‘De Wereld Leert Door’. http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/tvarchive/vanessa-wereldleertdoor-20130116.mpg
- BNR newsradio interview 22 august 2013, http://www.bnr.nl/programma/gezond/748552-1208/is-er-een-robot-in-de-zaal
- Robotic summer school, University of Amsterdam, 8 July, 2012. Seminar on human robot interaction
- MADOPA Seminar on methods of evaluation for technological solutions for elderly people (4 April, 2012, Paris)
- Seminar, Good AIfternoon at Radboud University Nijmegen, September 2011)
- The web and Beyond 2010, 1 June. Invited Talk: “Close to Robots“.
- ICT Delta, the Netherlands, Rotterdam, 18 March 2010. Talk: Cultural differences in responses to autonomous robots in Team Collaboration”. In Session ‘Friendly computers‘.
- Summercourse Technologie en Zorg. The Netherlands, 26-28 August, 2009. Invited talk : ‘Evaluating human interaction with ICT in healthcare’.
- Radio interview TROS radio Online 11 maart, 2008: Robothondjes tegen de eenzaamheid
Editorial board positions
- International Journal of Human Robot Interaction
- IEEE transaction on Human Machine Systems
- International Journal of Social Robotics
- Journal of Usability Studies
Reviewer International Journals
- Journal of Behavioural Robotics
- International Journal of Man and Cybernetics
- International Journal of Human Robot Interaction
- Human Computer Interaction
- International Journal of Human Computer Studies
- Journal of Social Robotics
- Interaction Studies
- Other (4-6)
- ACM distinguished speaker
- ACM: Association for Computing Machinery
- ACM SIGCHI: ACM Special Interest Group CHI
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- KIVI NIRIA: Royal Institute of Engineers
- Undergraduate course on Virtual (Work) Environments, BSc CREATE, University of Twente, 2012-
- Undergraduate course on Human Computer Interaction. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Computer Mediated Communciation. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Knowledge- and Communication Systems. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2003, 2004.
- Undergraduate course on Human Centred Multimedia. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Undergraduate course on Research Methods and Techniques. BSc Informatiekunde, University of Amsterdam, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Cristina Zaga, 2014-
- Jeabok Kim, 2014-
- Jered Vroon, 2014-
- Daniel Davison, 2014-
- Roelof de Vries, 2013-
- Michiel Joosse, 2013-
- Daphne Karreman, 2012-
- Jorgee Gallego Perez, 2012-
- Henriette Cramer, 2004-2009
- Marcel Heerink, 2005-2009
- Jessica Rijnboutt, 2008-2010
- Abdullah el-Ali, 2009-1=2013
MSc. and BSc. Supervision
- (Not updated from 2011) 4-7 MSc students yearly
- Michiel Joosse, 2011 (MSc.)
- Tiko Schep, 2010 (BSc)
- Marije Meijer, 2010 (MSc)
- Tantra Rusiyanada, 2010 (MSc)
- Aziez Sardar, 2010 (MSc)
- Roelof de Vries, 2010 (MSc)
- Andreas Slot, 2009-2010 (MSc)
- Merijn Martens, 2009-2010 (MSc)
- Joris de Groot, 2009-2010 (MSc)
- Dana Veenstra, 2009-2010 (MSc)
- Ron Kok, 2009 (MSc)
- Jorrit Goddijn, 2008 (BSc)
- Tim van Slooten, 2008 (MSc)
- Nicander Kemper, 2008 (MSc)
- Anne Zwijnenburg, 2008 (MSc)
- Eddie Bruins, 2008 (MSc)
- Junte Zhang 2007 (MSc)
- Anique Persoon, 2007 (MSc)
- Sam Besselink, 2006 (BSc)
- Hans Hillen, 2006 (MSc)
- Satyan Ramlal, 2006 (MSc)
- David Karemaker, 2005 (MSc)
- Mark Assink, 2005 (MSc)
- Abdel Ghdas, 2005 (MSc)
- Thijs van den Anker, 2005 (MSc)
- Deborah Hasanudien, 2005 (MSc)
- Annemaart Zeegers, 2004 (MSc)
- Joris Stegeman, 2004 (MSc)
- Marjolein Kortemann, 2004, (MSc)
- Frank van Cappelle, 2004, (MSc)
- Henriette Cramer, 2004, (MSc)
- Sharon de Faria, 2004, (MSc)
- Teun Ostendorf, 2004, (MSc)
- Else Buitenhuis, 2004, (MSc)
- Nik van Dam, 2003, (MSc)
Grants and Awards
- BLOX (Industry funded in partnership with stichting Dichterbij), Multimodal responsive environment to social interaction for people with multiple physical and cognitive impairments, 2013-1015, (amount undisclosed).
- TERESA EU FP7 STREP (PI), Telepresence Reinforcement-learning Social Agent, 2013-2016, 3M€
- SQUIRREL EU FP7 IP (PI), Clearing clutter bit by bit, 2014-2017, 5M€
- EASEL, EU FP7 STREP (PI),Expressive Agents for Symbiotic Education and Learning , 2013-2016 3M€
- COMMIT P3, National Project, motivational coach for amateur sports, 2013-1017, 2.5M€
- SPENCER EU FP7 (PI), Socially normative navigating robot in airport environments, 2012-2015, 3M€.
- ACCOMPANY EU FP7 (PI), Robot Companion for re-ablement. 2011-2014, 4M€.
- FROG EU FP7 (coordinator), Outdoor robot tour guide with engaging personality for interaction with small groups. 2011-2014, 3M€.
- SmartINSIDE. Eureka/Eurostars project, Smartphones with Innovative Navigation Service for an unique InDoor Experience , 2010-2011, European Community, 350 k€.
- MOCATOUR (2009-2012), Amsterdam Living Labs A Pieken in de Delta project. The (Mobile Cultural access for tourists) project seeks to establish novel computational methods to facilitate tourists with contextualized and experience-based access to information while they freely explore a city. (450k
- DIADEM, (EU FP7 2008-2011) Distributed Information Acquisition and Decision Making for Environmental Management. Funding: 240K Euro, Aug 2008.)
- HRI, PC meeting fund, NSF. Funding obtained: 1000 Euro, December 2008.
- NWO-CNSF collaboration grant, Funding obtained: 5000K Euro, November 2008.
- ICIS-CHIM, Interaction with learning systems in Crisis Recovery. Funding: 230K Euro, December 2005.
- Cyburg, de digitale stad Amsterdam. E-government services for the multi-cultural population of Amsterdam. Funding 120 K Euro. Januari 2002.
- OPZIJ talent award, 2014
- James Chen Best Paper award, Yearly UMUAI award, 2008
- Best Quality Master Thesis 1997. Highest quality thesis among Dutch University theses by the Dutch National Society of Registered Information Specialists.
- Highest graded thesis (10 out 0f 10). MSc Business Information Systems.
2 December 2013 Talent to the Top, Public lecture
24 November 2013 Maker Faire Twente
14 May 2013 Public talk at Women’s Tech meeting in Hengelo
1 June 2010 Web and Beyond Conference Keynote
25 Januari 2014, article volkskrant ‘computer kok krijgt nooit een ster’
11 Januari 2014, Article in Volkskrant newspaper about butlerrobot
Summer 2014, monthly column in Automatiseringsgids
April 2014, Article in Metaal Journaal
November 2013 Nominated VIVA 400, Dutch women’s magazine
18 September 2013 Article in Computable on research projects
13 September 2013 Local TV broadcast on research in social robots.
6 September 2013 Local TV broadcast on new projects aquired
1 September 2013 Public lecture in the ‘Kleine Komedie’ Theatre at the start of the theatre season
12 August 2013 Radio Interview Villa VPRO
21 July 2013 Regional Newspaper, article on new research projects
11 May 2013 In Science Panel at the Dutch National History Quiz, broadcast on national TV.
18 February 2012 At regional TV news show about Social robot research.
16 january 2013 At ‘De Wereld Leert Door’ Interview about research in Social Robots, broadcast on National TV
31 July 2012 Regional Dutch Newspapers, article
19 August 2012 BNR News Radio Interview
May x 2012 Article in Tech Robotics BLOG
7 May 2011 Article by Tech blogger
- Total: 90+ publications (10 journals). see Publications.
- Wang, L., Rau, P-L., Evers, V., Robinson, B., Hinds, P. (2010) The role of culture and context in the adherence to robot recommendations. Full paper (Forthcoming) Proceedings of HRI’10, 3-6 March, Osaka.
- Henriette Cramer, Vanessa Evers, Maarten van Someren, Bob Wielinga (2009) Awareness, Training and Trust in Interaction with Adaptive Spam Filters, CHI’09, Boston, USA. Winner CHI’09 best note award.
- Cramer H., Evers V., Van Someren, M., Ramlal, S., Rutledge, L., Stash, N., Aroyo, L., Wielinga, B. (2008) ‘The effects of transparency on trust and acceptance in interaction with a content-based art recommender’, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 5. Winner James Chen Best paper Award.
- Evers, V., Maldonado, H., Brodecki, T. & Hinds, P. (2008). Relational vs. group self-construal: Untangling the role of national culture in HRI. In T. Fong & K. Dautenhahn (Eds.), HRI 2008: Proceedings of the third ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (pp. 255-262). New York, NY: ACM
- Heerink, M., Kröse, B.J.A., Wielinga, B.J., Evers, V. Studying the acceptance of a robotic agent by elderly users. International Journal of Assistive Robotics and Mechatronics, VOL. 7, NO. 3, september 2006, pp. 33-43